Staying Healthy through Proper Hydration
June 11th, 2012 by Jaclyn
Since almost 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water, it is important to replenish the water stores frequently. Sip water frequently throughout the day aiming for an ultimate goal of eight, 8 ounce glasses of water. Often times, if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Roughly 80% of the water we consume comes from liquids we drink, and the other 20% is found in the foods we eat. Almost all fruits and vegetables have high water content, so enjoy up to 5-9 servings of produce a day!
Fun Facts about Water:
- Dehydration and lack of water is the #1 cause of afternoon fatigue.
- Water is an essential nutrient excreting waste and flushing toxins through urination, perspiration, and bowel movements.
- Iceberg lettuce contains the most water of any food, followed by watermelon, cucumbers, and celery.
- Broth based soups and stews are a good source of water.
- If you eat a diet high in fiber, your water needs increase.
Caffeinated beverages like soda and coffee act as a diuretic excreting excess water out of the body. Consider drinking one cup of water after every caffeinated beverage consumed. Other clear or transparent beverages like herbal tea, 100% fruit juice, and lightly sweetened lemonade are great sources of water as well. For a fresh flavor to your standard water, try adding a sprig of fresh mint leaves, lemon or lime slices, or cucumber slices.